REAL ESTATE RECORDS
- Michigan requires the name of each person purporting to execute the instrument to be legibly printed, typewritten, or stamped beneath the original signature or mark of that person.
- No discrepancy shall exist between the name of each person as printed, typewritten, or stamped beneath their signature and the name as recited in the acknowledgment or jurat on the instrument.
- The name of any notary public whose signature appears upon the instrument is legibly printed, typewritten, or stamped upon the instrument immediately beneath the signature of that notary.
- The address of each of the grantees in each deed of conveyance or assignment of real estate, including the street number address or post office address is legibly printed, typewritten, or stamped on the instrument.
- Any instrument affecting real estate must contain the name and business address of the person who drafted same.
- Male grantors in deeds of conveyance and mortgages must state whether married or single.
- No deed or other instrument which conveys an interest in land by the survivor or survivors under a deed to joint tenants or tenants by the entirety, shall be recorded by the Register of Deeds, unless, for each joint tenant or tenant by the entirety who is therein indicated to be deceased, a CERTIFIED COPY OF THE DEATH CERTIFICATE or other proof of death which is permitted by the laws of this state to be received for record by said register, is shown to have been recorded in said register's office by liber and page reference, or shall accompany such deed for record.
- Reference to previously recorded document shall state liber and first page number of instrument in agreement with the Register of Deeds records.
DOCUMENTS EXECUTED AFTER 4-1-97 REQUIRE:
- 2 1/2" margin at the top of first page and 1/2" on remaining sides.
- Single document title stated on the first line of print.
- Minimum 10 point type in black ink on white paper.
- Minimum Size (8 1/2" X 11") - Maximum Size (8 1/2" X 14).
- Instrument title to evidence a single recording event.